February 06, 2014

Introducing Andy


Andy was born on Saturday the 1st of February at 8:41pm, weighing 3.332kg and measuring 53cm in length.

It seems Andy was waiting patiently for his daddy to come home. Ryan came home from working away on Friday afternoon. At 3:30am Saturday morning I suddenly woke an went to the bathroom despite not having to go. I felt this huge gush and realised my waters had broken. Five minutes later, the contractions began. 

We arrived at the hospital around 5am and I was handling the contractions well. At 7:30 I was offered morphine as pain relief and decided to take it just incase. Bad move. From the point the morphine kicked in I was vomiting between contractions. A freezing cold shower was my only relief until I received an epidural around 2pm. 

The epidural kicked in and the pain subsided until around 6:30. Contractions became more intense over time. By 7:00 I was 10cm dialated - finally! Unfortunately it wasn't time to push, Andy's head wasn't low enough and the midwife couldn't determine what position he was sitting in. 45 mins later his head lowered a little and my midwife determined that he was posterior. Hence my lengthened labour! She called for the doctor and suggested suction, which I wasn't very keen on. While we were waiting for the doctor I have pushing a go. This was so difficult as I couldn't feel anything. 

Luckily, by the time my doctor arrived, Andy was crowning. With amazing encouragement from Ryan, my mum, Andy's godmother Kacey, my doctor and midwife, I was able to push Andy out naturally by 8:41pm. 

Nothing and I mean absolutely nothing beats the feeling of becoming a mother for the first time. Life has become so much more worth living. I've never been happier thanks to my beautiful little family. 

TWITTER FACEBOOK PINTEREST INSTAGRAM Image Map

No comments:

Post a Comment